2022 Sally Kallam Award
In 1988, Leadership Arlington devised an alumni leadership award to be given to an individual who best emulated the ideals of leadership through efforts devoted to Leadership Arlington and the community. The first award was presented to Sally Kallam and thereafter named for her.
Adult Leadership Arlington
youth leadership arlington
About Sally Kallam
Sally Kallam had the vision which became Leadership Arlington. Sally participated in Leadership Fort Worth and believed Arlington would benefit from such a program. The Chamber of Commerce, UTA and the Junior League were approached for support. A steering committee was formed and the first class was held in 1980. Sally remained as the Executive Director of Leadership Arlington until her relocation from Arlington in 1989.
2022 Award Recipient
Judy Rupay is one of the city’s exemplary role models of community service and is always engaged. Ms. Rupay has owned an investment firm, created the Arlington Today magazine, served as City Councilwoman, board member of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce, Boy’s and Girls Club, Salvation Army’s Youth Education Town and River Legacy foundation, founder of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and has served as PTA president at Martin High School.
Somehow she finds the time to join hand with others in tackling unmet needs being addressed by a plethora of non-profit organizations working for others in Arlington and throughout the region.
Judy is a tireless and fearless fundraiser. I doubt there is an actual tally to be found, but she’s helped produce many millions of dollars that have resulted in a higher quality of life for so many with needs that would have otherwise gone unmet.
This award is given annually to an individual who best emulates the ideals of leadership through efforts devoted to Leadership Arlington and the community. In choosing the recipient, several things are considered, the years serving our community, varied leadership roles, dedication to their service (to others and their organizations) and emulating the ideals of leadership to our future leaders.
Leadership Arlington is proud to have Mrs. Judy Rupay as the 2022 Awardee.
Past Award Recipients
- 2021 Victoria Farrar-Myers, Deputy Mayor Pro Tempore & Arlington City Council Place 7 (at-large)
- 2020 Victoria Farrar-Myers, Deputy Mayor Pro Tempore & Arlington City Council Place 7 (at-large)
- 020 Victoria Farrar-Myers, Deputy Mayor Pro Tempore & Arlington City Council Place 7 (at-large)
- 2019 Julie Reinhardt, Non-Profit, Junior League of Arlington M.A.Y. Program
- 2018 Paulette Tutor, Non-Profit Management and Operations
- 2017 Julie & Tony Pompa, General Assembly
- 2016 Will Johnson, Police Chief, Arlington Police Department
- 2015 Mary Hibbs, Community Outreach Director, Camp Thurman
- 2014 Patti Diou, Executive Director, Friends of the Levitt Pavilion
- 2013 Scott Reading, Relationship Banking Officer, Frost Bank
- 2012 Jimmy Bennett, Place 7, Arlington City Councilman
- 2011 Robert Cluck, M.D., Mayor, City of Arlington
- 2010 James D. Spaniolo, President, The University of Texas at Arlington
- 2009 Sheri Capehart, District 2, Arlington City Councilwomen
- 2008 Theron Bowman, PhD Chief of Police, City of Arlington
- 2007 Sally Hopper, Dental Health Arlington
- 2006 Lana Wolff, District 5, Arlington City Councilwoman
- 2005 Kimberly Phillips, Leadership Arlington Class of 2000
- 2004 Joe Bruner, District 1, Arlington City Councilman 2000-2006
- 2003 Gary Hardee, Publisher, Arlington Star-Telegram
- 2002 Patty Decker, Medical Clinician
- 2001 John Ramon, Small Business Consultant
- 2000 Craig Hubble, Attorney
- 1999 Ricky C. Childers, City Manager, Longview
- 1998 Tom Vandergriff, Judge, Tarrant County
- 1997 Richard Greene, Former Mayor, City of Arlington
- 1996 Marietta L. (Lee) Peas, Community Volunteer
- 1995 Elwood J. Preiss, Executive Director of Admin Services, UT Arlington
- 1994 Lisann Peters, Community Volunteer
- 1993 Jim Ash, Leadership Arlington
- 1992 Don Wheaton, Steering Committee
- 1991 Richard “Rick” Berry, Superintendent, AISD 1990-1992
- 1990 Paul Geisel, PhD, Speaker
- 1989 R.G. “Wick” Alexander, DDS, MSD, Chairman Leadership Arlington 1980-1995
- 1988 Sally Kallam, Executive Director, Leadership Arlington 1980-1988