Sally Kallam Award
In 1988, Leadership Arlington devised an alumni leadership award to be given to an individual who best emulated the ideals of leadership through efforts devoted to Leadership Arlington and the community. The first award was presented to Sally Kallam and thereafter named for her.
Adult Leadership Arlington
youth leadership arlington
About Sally Kallam
Sally Kallam had the vision which became Leadership Arlington. Sally participated in Leadership Fort Worth and believed Arlington would benefit from such a program. The Chamber of Commerce, UTA and the Junior League were approached for support. A steering committee was formed and the first class was held in 1980. Sally remained as the Executive Director of Leadership Arlington until her relocation from Arlington in 1989.
Dr. Victoria Farrar-Myers
She is currently a Senior Fellow and Director of the Tower Scholars Program at the John G. Tower Center for Political Studies at SMU as well as a member of the Arlington, Texas City Council representing the entire city as an at-large member. She has published five books, numerous journal articles, book chapters and other written work. She serves as a reviewer for book and journal publishers as well as for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as part of re-accreditation review teams. She provides commentary on political events in various media outlets (TV, Radio, Print and On-line).
In the spring and summer of 2014, she served as a Distinguished Chair Fulbright at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia. I was also made a non-resident Fellow to the Perth USAsia Centre.
From 1998-2014, Victoria taught at UT Arlington in the Department of Political Science and was promoted to Full Professor in 2008. While there she won numerous teaching awards, including the state’s highest recognition the Regent’s Outstanding Teaching Award. She was also awarded an American Council of Education (ACE) Fellowship (institutional funding withdrawn before completion).
Previously, she was awarded the American Political Science Association Congressional Fellowship in (1997-1998), and worked in the U.S. House of Representatives as a Legislative Assistant for former Congressman Christopher Shays (CT-6th).
Specialties: Leadership Training, Parliamentary Procedure, American Politics (U.S. Presidency, U.S. Congress, U.S. Elections, U.S. Foreign Policy as it relates to the Asian Pacific), Campaign Finance
Past Award Recipients
- 2020 Victoria Farrar-Myers, Deputy Mayor Pro Tempore & Arlington City Council Place 7 (at-large)
- 2019 Julie Reinhardt, Non-Profit, Junior League of Arlington M.A.Y. Program
- 2018 Paulette Tutor, Non-Profit Management and Operations
- 2017 Julie & Tony Pompa, General Assembly
- 2016 Will Johnson, Police Chief, Arlington Police Department
- 2015 Mary Hibbs, Community Outreach Director, Camp Thurman
- 2014 Patti Diou, Executive Director, Friends of the Levitt Pavilion
- 2013 Scott Reading, Relationship Banking Officer, Frost Bank
- 2012 Jimmy Bennett, Place 7, Arlington City Councilman
- 2011 Robert Cluck, M.D., Mayor, City of Arlington
- 2010 James D. Spaniolo, President, The University of Texas at Arlington
- 2009 Sheri Capehart, District 2, Arlington City Councilwomen
- 2008 Theron Bowman, PhD Chief of Police, City of Arlington
- 2007 Sally Hopper, Dental Health Arlington
- 2006 Lana Wolff, District 5, Arlington City Councilwoman
- 2005 Kimberly Phillips, Leadership Arlington Class of 2000
- 2004 Joe Bruner, District 1, Arlington City Councilman 2000-2006
- 2003 Gary Hardee, Publisher, Arlington Star-Telegram
- 2002 Patty Decker, Medical Clinician
- 2001 John Ramon, Small Business Consultant
- 2000 Craig Hubble, Attorney
- 1999 Ricky C. Childers, City Manager, Longview
- 1998 Tom Vandergriff, Judge, Tarrant County
- 1997 Richard Greene, Former Mayor, City of Arlington
- 1996 Marietta L. (Lee) Peas, Community Volunteer
- 1995 Elwood J. Preiss, Executive Director of Admin Services, UT Arlington
- 1994 Lisann Peters, Community Volunteer
- 1993 Jim Ash, Leadership Arlington
- 1992 Don Wheaton, Steering Committee
- 1991 Richard “Rick” Berry, Superintendent, AISD 1990-1992
- 1990 Paul Geisel, PhD, Speaker
- 1989 R.G. “Wick” Alexander, DDS, MSD, Chairman Leadership Arlington 1980-1995
- 1988 Sally Kallam, Executive Director, Leadership Arlington 1980-1988